Sunday, October 20, 2013

Days 99 and 100

Well, after a long time away, we have the return of day skippage!  Yes, I skipped writing yesterday. Why? Because it was THE most gorgeous day I've seen in ages and I wanted to be out in it. So, I skipped writing and played outside until it just got too dark and cool to be out there by my self. You're right if you're thinking, "But then, you could write after that, right?" Well, yes I could have, but I instead indulged my weakness or Netflix and painted my nails while watching new episodes of "Say Yes To The Dress"! I just love seeing all those crazy women with different body shapes trying to spend ENORMOUS amounts of money on a wedding dress. Secretly, I would LOVE to have had a wedding where I got to buy a beautiful new dress, but at 22 and from a family (read 'poor' here) without means, I used a dress I had purchase earlier in the year for Easter, as my wedding dress. It was the nicest dress I had ever purchased. This was 1981 and it was the most money I had ever spent on a dress, $100! At the time, I had been on my own and taking care of myself for over 4 years, so I saved up the money and bought the lovely dress from Sanger-Harris in Dallas, Texas. It was an off-white, handkerchief hem chiffon dress with  a lovely iris print. The dress had a silk chiffon cream under dress with spaghetti straps, since the dress was so transparent. I thought the dress was beautiful; still think it is today. Below is a collage of me in the dress on October 3, 1981. Our wedding was in the Classical Revival (aka: Neoclassicism) Gazebo located in the square at Wooldridge Park in Austin, Texas.
We were married by Justice of the Peace, Mark Schreiber (just off camera). (Unfortunately, I've had to remove references to the groom at his request.)

Wow, that was a lot of story just to talk about wedding dresses. I know there are people who need the experience of trying on, buying and then wearing a long white wedding dress; so much so that they will spend a fortune to get it. Would it have been nice to have had that? Yes, it would have been. I wanted a wedding in a church with a long dress and cake, but the fact is, no Christian minster would marry me to my non-Christian groom. I was turned down by my own pastor and then two other churches in the Austin area, as well. Therefore, I decided on the JP and the park! I'll never, as long as I live, forget that day. I honestly never thought I would marry...anyone. Let me just say that should I ever be in a position to marry again, I honestly don't know what I'll do. All I know is, I'll look like me and hopefully, I'll be very happy.

One of the things I'm working on is how to style the clothes that I have in my wardrobe as I lose weight. Everything I have is still fitting...sort of, but some need safety pins to stay up...isn't that nice! But, I want to do a better job of putting the pieces together so that I maximize the use of each item. I have added a new black skirt to the mix that I picked up at Walmart yesterday for about $16. I wasn't planning to buy a skirt, but there it was and now I need to make it work in the wardrobe for the fall. So, here is a list (Boy, did I need to do a list!!) of the combinations I'll be doing with that skirt:

Styling a Black Pencil Skirt

Put the simple black skirt with...
  1. A purple empire waist top with bead embellishment and pair with black, rhinestone studded flats.
  2. A white cami under a white shark bite hem graphic top with white lace sleeves and rhinestones pared with black sling-back heals.
  3. A black cami under a vibrantly colored striped chiffon top paired with black sling-back heals.
  4. A black and white animal print cami under a black lace bodice top and pair with the black, rhinestone studded flats.
Here is my best attempt at showing these four styles:
Okay, so my photography still needs work. I am a work in progress all the time, you know! There are a couple of other options hanging in my closet that I didn't photograph. I've got a deep wine colored, cowl-neck top that I can put with the skirt and I also have a green burnout print top that I will be able to try on again on day 121, that should look nice. So, this skirt gave me options. Basically, I'm just replacing the skirt for a pair of black pants...all this works with the black pants, too!

As you may have read before, I'm not a fan of keeping LOADS of clothes, shoes and accessories around, but I do like the ability to mix and match items. I love all of my pieces and I wear them until they are worn out! Soon I'll be faced with having to replace items because the safety pin system no longer works. If the pieces are in good shape, I will donate. (I have shoes to donate now! We ALL make mistakes, you know!)

I've enjoyed days 99 and 100 so much that I want some more time-off, but that will come in early November. For now, I'm going to finish my laundry (you knew I was doing that didn't you!) read and enjoy the rest of day 100. I'll be back again tomorrow with more from the 365 day saga that is Nancy. Until then, sweet dreams, Sweeties!!

No comments:

Post a Comment