Saturday, November 23, 2013

Day 134

What a great weekend day it has been. Normally I would be resting now from my errands, but since I was on vacation yesterday, I was able to do some errands yesterday. That gave me the ability to actually rest today, which was good since I didn't feel great to begin with. I'm better now and have been busy even though I rested all along.

As you know I'm cooking again, and so today was a great day to do one of my favorite things, make beans. Although there are thousands of ways to make beans, I prefer to bake beans. No, I don't mean like the Boston kind with tons of sugar. It's more about the method than the style. When the weather is hot, I cook beans on top of the stove and they are great, but the best way to cook beans is in the oven. Today I made Red Runner beans, my second favorite bean on earth. The best dry bean is the Christmas Lima bean. However, they are sometimes hard to find and I didn't have any. What I had were my number 2 and 3 beans. If I don't have Christmas Limas or Red Runners, I make Pinto. Here is my recipe of for Baked Red Runner Beans (Baked ANY Beans, really!)

1 lb. Dry Red Runner Beans (or whatever beans you like)
1 large yellow onion
1 can diced roasted tomatoes
Olive oil
1 quart Beef Stock
1 pound Chuck Roast (well trimmed and cut into cubes)
Fiesta Brand Uncle Chris' Gourmet Steak Seasoning Blend (if you can't get this...I'm sorry for you)
Mrs. Dash Garlic Herb blend
Salt and Pepper

Clean the beans making sure they are free of debris or rocks (dry beans are notoriously dirty) and wash them in a colander. Place the beans in a Dutch Oven and cover them with cold water to within an inch of the pot rim. Place the pan on the stove top, cover and bring the beans to a rolling boil. Turn the burner off and set the timer for 1 hour and allow the beans to soak covered. About 15 minutes before the soaking ends, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

When the beans complete their soaking, drain and rinse the beans and return them to the pot. Cover the beans with beef stock and add cold water to cover the beans by 3 inches. Cut the onion into large slices and add them to the pot.

In a large skillet heat the olive oil and sauté the beef, seasoned with the Uncle Chris' and Mrs. Dash, salt and pepper at medium high heat. When well browned add to the pot. Pour in the tomatoes and stir. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to the pot and place the covered pan into the oven to bake.

Set the timer for 2 hours. After that time passes, check the beans for liquid and stir. Return them to the oven for 2 more hours. Again, stir and check for liquid. I like my bean more on the dry side, and so typically I do not add liquid during the process. Bake the beans until done. For me that is 6 hours at 400 degrees (checking them every 2 hours).

Here is what my beans looked like in the end today:
They may not look beautiful, but these are great beans. Red Runners are large, dark beans and I love them. The baking process keeps them whole and the long baking creates a complexity of flavor that is so delicious. We will eat these beans and meat over rice for supper. Yummy! I tasted them already and they are perfect! Just like I like 'em!

Yes, I loved cooking today. The oven kept the house warm and I indulged my love of TV cooking shows (something I don't usually do since they make me hungry). I still have some errands to do, but I'll go do that next.

Sometimes its just important to have a day of doing what you like early and then doing the work of errands later. That's today. Thanks for stopping by and checking out the day's activity. I hope you try the beans. Remember, any dry bean will work and of course, any seasonings you like. The best food is the food you like! Now it's time to do some errands. Until tomorrow when I'll share a Sunday full of life, sweet dreams, Sweeties!!

No comments:

Post a Comment