Thursday, April 10, 2014

Day 274

Hey there! Another day in the world of Nancy has come and gone. Oh yes, and in your world, too! It was lovely working through another day. I finished a project and did some coaching via email today, which is not my favorite way to work with someone, however when I'm solidly booked and someone wants time I can't carve out of my day, email at least allows me to ask some questions and get them thinking. I have rules that I like to follow when it comes to coaching someone. Since I'm feeling the need to write a list, let me share my coaching ground rules...

Nancy's Rules of Engagement:  Life Coaching
(AKA: Have Ideas, Will Travel Call Nancy)


  1. I do not offer coaching to anyone. You have to want me as a coach and seek me out.
  2. The person being coached is responsible for setting up meetings.
  3. One missed meeting, we discuss what happened and move on. The second missed meeting, we're done.
  4. I will answer email questions, but I do not initiate conversations via email with people I coach, as email cannot take the place of meetings (in person or via FaceTime).
  5. The person being coached defines how frequently we meet and what coaching they desire. (i.e.  leadership skills, general problem solving, life passion discovery, financial stewardship and etc.)
  6. Coaching only works when the person being coached is completely honest with the coach. If I detect I'm being told things that aren't true and the person knows they aren't true, we're done.
  7. Coaching is always very specific and based usually on a problem the person is trying to solve.
  8. The person being coached will be asked to establish a time limit we will work within. (i.e. 6 months, 4 weeks, 10 days or etc.)
  9. Every person leaves my coaching understanding that they have all of the answers inside themselves and that I'm simply here to help them discover the hiding place.
  10. I reserve the right to end coaching for any reason.
I do not charge for coaching (at this time, anyway) and so therefore, I feel completely free to exercise #10. In the last year I mentored/coached a very nice young woman whom I could tell within just a few meetings, she was not being honest with herself or me. I sent her on her way with my best wishes, as there is no way I can help someone who won't tell me or themselves the truth. I want to help, but my time is valuable to me and I'll not waste it with someone who's not sincere.

Wow! I always feel better when I make a list. Ahhhh!! I'm not a professional life coach, but I have lived a great life so far and am always willing to share what I know (to a degree...) with anyone who believes I can be of service. I suppose you grasp that I couldn't possibly share everything I know with anyone. In the words of one of my favorite authors of all times, "Never tell all that you know. Not even to those you know best." Agatha Christie, The Secret Adversary. Really what I do is help people find a path to what they want to achieve in life. God made me an encourager and he gave me 54 (almost 55) years of life experience. The best I can do is share some of what I've learned and help people find what they want.

That's it for today. I plan on being back here tomorrow with more about life. It will be Friday and I'm really looking forward to that. Until then, Godspeed, Voyagers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment