Monday, April 14, 2014

Day 278

Hello Monday! Yes, I'm enjoying a Monday off from work and found out that Monday morning at 10am is THE best time to go buy groceries.  Oh, My, WORD, it was fantastic in the local HEB today. The shelves were stocked. Someone in just about every department walked up and asked me if they could help me find something particular. You know why? Because I was the only person in the store...practically. Yes, there were a few people, but not many. I'd give my EYE TEETH (okay...not really, but you know what I mean) to be able to shop for groceries like that every week. The only way I can do it on the weekend is to be there by 7am on Saturday.

This week I'm planning to eat my own cooking all week. No eating out for lunch even this week. I'm hungry for soup and not the kind out of a can either. So here is what I'm making this week that will serve us supper and leave leftovers for my lunch the next day:


  • Monday Night - Cheater Chicken and Dumplings (they are cooking now and smell heavenly)
  • Tuesday Night - Salisbury Steak with Mushrooms and Seasoned Sugar Snap Peas
  • Wednesday Night - Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Soup with Rolls
  • Thursday Night - Spaghetti with Vodka Sauce and Tiny Meatballs
  • Friday Night - World Famous Hamburger Vegetable Soup and Finger Sandwiches
It's been a while since I planned the meals in advance for the week. I've wanted to cook, but just haven't had the heart for it. The other day when I tried to cook a meal, I ended up cutting my finger badly, spilling hot olive oil all over the stove, knocking over a fresh and very hot pot of tea with loose leaves and hot tea everywhere! I felt like a disaster area. All I was trying to do was make a simple and easy skillet version of Chicken and Rice.  It was good, but what a mess the kitchen was in at the end and my finger is still not healed from the disaster! I'm a mess sometimes.

This week will be different. I'm trying to make more soup because I think soup will make a better meal for me to have at lunch. I also will be using the slow cooker this week to help me keep going. Besides the above dishes, I'll also be making:
These three soups are my own inventions and will go into the freezer for me to use next week for lunch. I love stuffed peppers, but they are just a hassle to cook. So, I deconstructed my recipe and added beef stock and make it into a soup. It cooks nicely in the slow cooker.  The same goes for Spaghetti and Meatball Soup; deconstructed and beef stock makes a great soup! Vegetable Soup is just whatever vegetables are around with some beans (canned), pasta (whatever shape is available) and a tomato base. Add some great seasonings and you've got good food that is PERFECT with a cheese sandwich!  Yummy!! Are you hungry yet?  I hope so.

Okay, so I'll update this posting as I move along with the recipes and such. I do love to cook and just need to slow down and do it! Thanks for checking in on me! Until tomorrow when I'm sure I'll share more nonsense, Godspeed, Voyagers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment