Sunday, December 30, 2012

Foundation Test: L'Oreal True Match Compact Foundation

I just can't leave well enough alone.  That's why I keep trying to make inexpensive foundation work for me.  Drug store makeup has always been a problem for me. I know this, but I want so badly to be able to find just one inexpensive foundation that I can use that won't make me look like a goof.  I did a YouTube video on the not-so-flattering Fit Me foundation by Maybelline.  The foundation only cost me $2.94 (thanks to a $3 coupon from my local HEB!  Love those coupons!!).  I've now tested that foundation with and without priming and with three different application methods:  Fingers, Sponge and Foundation Brush.  In the case of both of these inexpensive foundations, the brush worked best.

The L'Oreal True Match Compact Foundation is the subject of today's test.  I primed my face with Sephora's Luminous Primer and gave great attention to the smoothness and moisture level of my skin.  I wanted this foundation to have every opportunity to win in the end.  Here is what I looked like without any makeup, but completely prepped with Rosacia treatment, eye cream and moisturizer:
As you can see, I have my normal issues, baggy eyes, lots of broken capillaries, spots galore...the normal me.  Then I applied the L'Oreal True Match Compact Foundation!!  So, let me just say that the "True Match" part of the name is just ridiculous.  How are you supposed to really match this stuff to your skin if you can't test it in the store?  I did my best, but as you'll see my best wasn't good enough.  I have a very pronounced yellow undertone, so I went with the shade in the middle of the light range for warm or yellow toned skin.  The color is terrible!!  The reason I was particularly drawn to this foundation in the first place was because it is in a compact form.  This would have made it easy for me to carry for touch-ups.  With all the nose blowing I do for allergies, I need to be able to touch-up my foundation around my nose.  Here is but a few of the things I notice about this foundation:

  1. The color is too difficult to match and indeed, I didn't do well at all.
  2. The foundation settles directly into every pour on my face.  If you have big pours, get ready to be able to name every one of them, because they are going to staring at you when you look in the mirror after applying this foundation.
  3. Coverage is full with little concealing required.
  4. Finish is matte-ish.
  5. Looks cakey or is that cakie?  Regardless of how you spell it, it's bad.
  6. The makeup makes me look quite lifeless.  Not exactly the look I'm going for here.
Being the consummate optimist, I decided to press on and wear this foundation today (I'm doing laundry so who will see me except my artist husband and sweet son, who probably will save my feelings and say nothing...maybe).  Here is the finished look with eyes, cheeks and lips:

It's hard to see the nastyness that is this foundation, so here are some closeups of the product on my skin:


Look at the dots, which are my pours!  I see Fred, Ginger, Cary, Mabel, Cecil...I'm naming my pours since we are going to be SO close now!!




Yes, I'm a hot mess.  Look at that forehead!  You can see every bit of this foundation laying in the pours, lines and dry spots of my skin.  As my husband would say about any ugly thing, "Distance lends enchantment to the view." So, the farther away from me you are, the better I'll look!  Great!!!  So far, I have not reacted with a rash, but the day is young!  Again, I had a $3 off coupon from my HEB (LOVE HEB) for this foundation.  The final price:  $7.97! The cost of this one hurts, but I WILL NOT do it again.  That's it!  As my wonderful sister says, I'm worth expensive foundation that looks good.  Tomorrow I go back to work (been on a little holiday) so I'll be sure to wear the good stuff and do a blog showing the difference.  You'll be amazed!

Thanks for dropping by!  I hope this helps and that you too tread with care if you're thinking of making the investment in L'Oreal True Match Compact Foundation or indeed, in any drug store foundation.  See you later, Sweeties!



No comments:

Post a Comment